Tuesday 3 March 2009

I think I'm falling in love...

I've owned many, many computers and games consoles over the years. I've enjoyed them all, but there aren't many that I've truly loved. The Commodore 64 was the first... and it was an all-encompassing love. Self-destructive, even... for a while, everything came second to the Commodore 64, even schoolwork. Obviously that was to my detriment, but when you're young and in love, you don't care about stuff like that.

The next time I was head-over-heels with a piece of gaming tech was with the Sega Saturn. The Playstation may have won the war, but the Saturn won the eternal place in my heart, and in NiGHTS... into dreams, gave me one of my favourite games ever.

Recently, I would say I've loved my PS2 and 360, but there's a new love creeping into my life... and she's an older girl. It's the Commodore Amiga.

I mentioned this baby in my posting called 'Loot!' early on in this blog. I spent a good number of hours on it when my mate Stephen owned it, and really enjoyed it. But I never owned an Amiga until he gave me that one. I haven't even used it that much yet, but I've used it enough to develop that dangerous attachment that we all know can happen.

The games I've played on it have been of mixed quality, but there's just something about loading them up, wading through the instructions and diving in that feels right. Occasionally, a game I try might have corrupted graphics... I guess that's a result of aging. We all get lines and go a bit saggy as the years go by. But I'm still enjoying the looking anyway. I've even resorted to trawling ebay for classics that I don't own. I don't know if that's a good idea... we'll see where it takes me over the next year or so. It's a relationship that I feel is worth developing...

No comments:

Post a Comment