Tuesday 2 March 2010

Alien 3 (Super Nintendo)

It's film tie-in time today, as I've decided to dip into the SNES catalogue and play "one of the best SNES games of all time", Alien Cubed. Sorry, Alien 3.

You know that when Acclaim bought the licence to Alien 3, they were really just buying the licence to the Alien name. Then again, after the action spectacular that was Aliens, maybe they just figured the film would be another all-guns-blazing affair. I bet their jaws dropped when they saw that it was more in the vein of the first film.


What are you looking at? Eh?

It's interesting to see, then, that they've almost completely disregarded the film's plot in making the game. The characters and setting are there... Ripley is shaven-headed, and there are prisoners to be rescued here and there. Generally speaking, though, Alien 3 is a maze game where you blast as many aliens as you can find.

And really, that's it. There are missions, sure... accessed through the many terminals that are scattered around the landscape. But what it boils down to is that you trudge around a bleak-looking maze, shooting aliens and finding stuff.


Christ. Bit bleak here, innit?

I'll be honest, I found Alien 3 to be an uninspiring effort in my short time with it. There's not really any skill involved... because a large part of the game takes place in tunnels or ducts, the aliens are just there to be shot. Once again, a game that's been touted as an all-time classic has disappointed me. Just as well there's always another game around the corner...

2 comments:

  1. Harsh with this one dude. It is one of the most nerve-wracking games of the 16-bit era. But I appreciate that in this age of Dead Space it looks a little bit dull.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't get any tension from it at all. I suppose the closest I got was when I ran out of ammo, but even then I'd escaped from the tunnel/duct area at that point, so there was no claustrophobia to add to it. But even then, the sense of danger wasn't great.

    ReplyDelete