Thursday 4 March 2010

Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine (Sega Megadrive)

Why do I subject myself to puzzle games? Whyyyyyyyyy? I know what they're about, and I know what they'll do to me. And yet, I'll try them on the off-chance it's one of those rare Puzzle Quest types that'll have me hooked. It hardly ever works out that way.

If you know what Puyo Puyo is, then you know what Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine is. Groups of jelly-like coloured beans will drop from the top of the screen, and you have to quickly arrange them in such a way that like colours will be grouped together. Get a group of four and they'll disappear. And as you're facing off against an opponent, the quicker you clear your groups, or better yet, the more chains of groups you make, the more damage you'll cause to your opponent's playfield.


Why don't you do that, then? I'll get on with something else.

It's all very familiar, although this was probably one of the first games of this particular type. And as with all the rest of these games, I'm rubbish at it. There are thirteen stages in the game... I managed to reach the second. The first was actually quite easy. I was pleasantly surprised. But on the second stage, the opponent took off at breakneck speed, and I just can't play these games that way. Defeat was inevitable, every time.


Well, there's no getting out of that. Looks like my time is up.

And so, my time with the game came to an end in predictable fashion. Worth a try, I suppose, but the outcome was inevitable. If you like games like this, well, this one is pretty cutesy and obviously a nice example. But it's absolutely not for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment