Thursday 2 December 2010

Advent Calendar - December 2nd.

Two Crude Dudes (Sega Megadrive)

This wasn't actually my first choice for today, but then I found out the game I was due to play was a sequel, and I'm trying not to play any sequels for this advent calendar project (there will be the occasional game that is technically a sequel, but they're allowed!). So, after a little bit of a dig around I came up with this substitute.


You have to say, that looks like a bit of a mismatch.

Two Crude Dudes is a side-scrolling beat 'em up set in a dystopian, post-nuclear future. It's actually based on an arcade game called Two Crude, and bad though the Megadrive game's name is, it's slightly less rubbish than the arcade game's.

Not that it matters... I'd neither heard of nor played either of them before, so I went with the Megadrive version. It's made by Data East, so it probably won't come as any surprise to find out it plays a but like Dragon Ninja (which was actually called Bad Dudes vs. Dragon Ninja, if I remember right... someone at Data East must have had a thing for dudes).


Hey, hang on a minute! I forgot my marshamllows!

It's as simple as you'd expect from this type of game... walk from left to right, and punch, kick and throw everything that comes your way. What matters is whether it's well done, or has a unique spin of its own.

Two Crude Dudes, thankfully, has a sense of humour. If it didn't, there's no way you'd play it more than once, because it really is a bog-standard beat 'em up in every other way. There's no special moves or anything remarkable. All you have is a steady stream of odd, mutated characters coming your way. If anything, it reminds me a little of Street Hassle, which I played in October.


Yeah, I've done that a few times. Usually when my Hula Hoops have got stuck.

I have to say, if I'd bought this for the Megadrive, I'd probably have been disappointed. It really is a shallow button-masher, with just the crazy characters making it stand out in any way. On the other hand, it has a simultaneous two-player mode, and I expect I'd have had a right laugh with that. As a one-player game in 2010, though, it's not something I can say I'd play much beyond the hour I gave it for this write-up.

No comments:

Post a Comment