Sunday 1 February 2009

Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Nintendo DS)

Today wasn't a good day for starting up a new game: I had the Newcastle vs Sunderland match to contend with, for one thing (thankfully, we managed not to lose). Then it was off to my parents' for dinner, which took away several hours of potential gaming time.

Or so I thought... my dad recently bought himself a PS2 "for when the grandkids visit". Yeah right, dad. Anyway, I helped him set that up, and that resulted in quite a long session on World Championship Snooker 2007. And it's quite good. I thought of writing about that today, and then changed my mind.

I changed my mind because I really want to play some of my unopened games. Phoenix Wright is a game I bought on the DS for my wife, a long time ago. And then neither of us played it. But, seeing as it's so highly thought of, I've always meant to get around to it, and now seemed as good a time as any.

The thing is, though... Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney isn't really a game. There's not a lot of "playing" involved. In fact, it made me think back to those books you used to read as a kid, where you'd read a few pages, and then something would happen which would prompt you to turn to one of two pages to continue the story, depending on how you wanted it to turn out.

Phoenix Wright has a LOT of reading. It's quite entertaining reading, but it's not what you really want to be doing with a small screen. Every once in a while you get to choose an answer, and then we're off again as the story moves in the appropriate direction for your choice, and you wait for the opportunity to actually do something again. I can see the appeal, but it's not something I'm overly enamoured with, and I probably won't rush back to this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment