Sunday 21 March 2010

Warlock's Quest (Commodore Amiga)

One of the main reasons for writing this blog is to play all the games I've got sitting upstairs, in an attempt to justify keeping them. Many of them are games I've never played or even heard of before, and that's where a lot of the fun lies... seeing whether I've got an undiscovered gem or a waste of disk space.

Warlock's Quest is one of those games I'd never heard of. It seemed pretty obvious what it would be when I loaded it up... a role-playing game. Except... it's not.


No, I haven't got a clue what's going on there, either.

To be honest, I still don't really know what was going on. Sometimes, having some instructions can be quite handy. Basically, the game appears to be a shoot 'em up of sorts... the playing area is split into two levels, with your warlock moving from left to right and, where ladders or gaps allow, up and down between the levels.

A range of supernatural creatures are out to stop you from doing... well, whatever it is your quest is. I'd probably have to complete the game to find that out, and I didn't manage it. Mostly because it's hard. If you stay still and blast, you'll last longer. But of course, you won't get anywhere on your quest. The enemies are constantly spawning, so you can't just clear the screen and then move on, either.


Jesus! Those red blobs might be annoying, but I'll take my chances... downstairs looks freaky!

But, in true Gauntlet style, your energy is constantly ticking down, too. So if you do stay still, you'll get a high score before you die, but you will eventually die, so you might as well get a bit of a shift on and see what's on the other screens.

I did kind of enjoy the game... the graphics are very small but endearingly cute in a way. Apart from the scary stuff... it started to get a bit weird and freaky further on. God knows what I would have found if I'd managed to get further. I can't see me ever playing it again... it's out of the way now, and I can at least say I've played it. I didn't hate it, but there was nothing particularly outstanding there to encourage me to go back to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment