Wednesday 15 April 2009

Brain Training (Nintendo DS)

Alright, so this is a bit of a swizz. But I was recently given this and, seeing as it's another game I haven't played, I figured, why not?

But is it a game? It's not marketed as a game... more a magical, make-your-mind-better exercise tool. Should I include it in A Game A Day if it isn't really a game? Well, you can get high scores in it, of a sort, so I'm counting it.

It's actually quite good fun... well, to me it is, anyway. But then, I'm a bit twisted in that I like simple maths puzzles. Sudoku I can't do... ask me to add, subtract or do my multiplication tables and I'm in my element. And this game, erm... software title has you doing those until the cows come home.

There are other exercises, too... there are memory tests, for example, where you are shown twenty words and have three minutes to remember as many as you can. Now, given that I can go to speak to somebody and by the time I've opened my mouth I've forgotten what I was going to say, this should be ideal for me. But I'm rubbish at it, and don't seem to get any better through "exercise". Maybe I'll just eat more fish, or something.

At the end of the day, this has been a phenomenon, and whether it's doing people any long-term good is neither here nor there. What I can say is that it's a pretty fun way to get you thinking, which can't do any harm. I might as well pick it up for fifteen minutes a day... I can't see any reason why not.

I'll do a proper game later today...

1 comment:

  1. Of course it's a game! Well, it's on my List, anyway. Everything unlocked, lovely low Brain Age, and a stack of Sudoku (which I adore).

    In fact, Brain Training's Sudoku is the best implementation of the game I've ever experienced. Absolutely lovely stuff.

    I'm currently engaged in Sight Training at the moment; it lacks the whiter-than-white charm of its Brainy cousin, but the tiny games contained therein are interesting enough. I doubt I'll be hammering it much once everything's unlocked, however :}

    ReplyDelete