Wednesday 6 January 2010

Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis (PC)

Indiana Jones. One of the most iconic characters in film, and centrepiece of three films that people my age have loved for years (well, two... the middle one was just alright). Fans around the world waited for years and years for a new Indy film, until it seemed it would never come. And then, it did (Kingdom of the Crystal Skull). And... we'd have been better off without it, to be honest.

But what if there had been another Indiana Jones story? One that was ready many years earlier, when Harrison Ford didn't just look like someone's grandad? Well, there was, and it was called Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis.

Fate of Atlantis is an adventure game using the much-loved SCUMM engine. I say much-loved, but I personally have not had much experience with it, not having played adventure games that extensively over the years (although I did see a more advanced version of it when I played The Dig). What's great about it is that all the commands you need are displayed in a graphic menu, so you don't have to worry about any of that "I can't do that here" rubbish that was prevalent in so many early text adventures. As a result, it's far more fun, but I suppose it's a pretty different type of adventure game.


I reckon it was when they started selling those pizzas for £1.50. Some of them are really nice.

When I say pretty different, I mean more accessible. For an adventuring novice like me, that's very welcome. I haven't yet found any puzzles I couldn't solve, there's the odd little action set piece, which prove to be nice breaks, and it has a nice authentic feel. The locations are all perfectly plausible for an Indiana Jones adventure and look good. Indy's voice is really quite well done, and in fact, it sounds like it's coming out of an old Atari arcade game, which I think is tremendous.

I've enjoyed my time with Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis quite a lot. In fact, the only drawback I've noticed is that I can't find a way to save the game! Anyone able to help?

No comments:

Post a Comment